BLUFFTON, S.C. (WJCL)- One Bluffton family is crediting smoke detectors for saving their home and their lives. Bluffton firefighters responded to the blaze on Monday at a home on Elliot Pinckney Street and found the family safe outside. When firefighters went inside, they found a kitchen stove completely engulfed.
Elouise Pinckney Green tells WJCL News she didn't realize what was beeping inside her home for a few seconds, and then her family member yelled that the kitchen was on fire.
“The alarm kept beeping and I said why is that alarm beeping like that," said Green. “God is always on our side and I thank God and I thank the fire department for getting here so quickly and doing their job so good."
Bluffton Township firefighters say homeowners can make their jobs much easier though, by simply installing the very same smoke detectors that saved this Bluffton family.
“People think that the sound of the fire or crackling is going to wake us up and it’s not so much the heat and the flames that are going to kill us, it’s the toxic fumes and the smoke," said Cpt. Randy Hunter, public information officer, Bluffton Township Fire Department.
National statistics say the risk of dying in a house fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms. This Bluffton home's detector was above a doorway, close enough to the kitchen to pick up the smoke.
“The main thing is we need to at least have one on every floor and if you sleep with the door closed one in every bedroom.”
The fire department encourages residents to call the department if they have questions regarding the best placement of detectors, or if you are suffering a financial hardship and cannot afford a smoke detector.